Adoption Process Overview
- Let us know you are interested in adopting by completing our Adoption Interest Form located at Eckerd.org or by calling us at 866-233-0790.
- Attend a free, live orientation meeting or register to watch the orientation video at your convenience at: http://eckerdconnects.wpengine.com/i-would-like-to/foster-a-child/pasco-pinellas-florida/online-orientation-and-registration .
- Submit a completed orientation packet (provided at the orientation meeting) for review and approval to enter a training class to DJohnson@Eckerd.org.
*Training class space is limited. Enrollment in training will be reserved for those who have identified a child(ren) for adoption. Available children can be located on the following sites: www.heartgallerykids.org (all local children); https://heartgallerytampa.org/ (all local children); and www.adoptflorida.org (some local children)
- Complete in-person, professional parenting training course (6-8 weeks).
*Please notify the staff leading orientation if you have already completed training elsewhere.
- Complete background screening process, references, and an adoption home study. Once your homestudy is approved, you’ll be ready to explore the next step in the process.
*If there are questions about your background or household, you may be asked to attend an Adoption Application Review Committee staffing to determine your eligibility to adopt
- Submit your homestudy to be considered for a match staffing for any and all children you may be interested in adopting.
- Your adoption homestudy will be reviewed during a Family Selection Staffing by the child’s professional team.
- Attend a Full Disclosure Meeting.
- Complete visits with the child(ren) leading towards adoptive placement.
- Maintain the adoptive placement of the child(ren) in your home for a minimum of 90 days.
- Attend the finalization court hearing, at which time the child(ren) becomes a permanent and legal member of your family, affording you all the rights and responsibilities that come with parenting a biological child.