Eckerd Connects’ Community Alternatives believes there is a family out there for every child living in foster care – a family that can provide a loving home where children can adjust, grow and thrive in a safe, stable environment. By adopting through foster care, you could be the answer for a child who is unable to return to his or her family of origin.
The look on a child’s face when we connect them with their forever family is one of our driving forces. When you adopt, you are providing a second chance for a child to be part of a family.
- Get Started by calling 866-233-0790 or emailing us at EckerdAdoptionUnit@eckerd.org to sign-up for a free orientation where you can learn more about available children and the adoption process.
- Get Trained with Florida’s free standardized training course called Professional Parenting Training (PPT), you’ll learn about children in foster care, start to understand their grief and loss, how trauma effect the brain, as well as build unique skills to assist in parenting your child.
- Get Home Studied to ensure that you, your family and your home are prepared and safe for adoption. The home study includes background checks for all household members –all at no cost to you. If everything is favorable, your home study will be approved and you’ll be ready to explore the next step in the process.
- Get Matched with a child, teen or sibling group. During this part of the process, you’ll learn about available children that may be a good match for your family and, based on how your strengths meet their needs, you’ll potentially be matched. If matched, following a therapeutically driven transition, the child or children will live in your home for a minimum of 90 days as you both adjust and get to know each other.
- Get Official by finalizing the adoption in a court of law, at which time the child becomes a permanent and legal member your family, affording you all the rights and responsibilities that come with parenting a biological child.
- Get Inspired by visiting our friends at Heart Gallery of Tampa and be introduced to the children available for adoption.
We can help! Please visit our Adoption FAQs for additional information. Or get get started by calling 866-233-0790 or emailing us at EckerdAdoptionUnit@eckerd.org to sign-up for a free orientation.